Stevens Arms was an American firearms manufacturer founded by Joshua Stevens in 1864 in Chicopee Falls, MA. The company introduced the .22 Long Rifle round and made a number of rifle, shotgun, and target pistol designs. By 1902 they were advertising themselves as "the largest producers of sporting arms in the world". They were purchased by New England Westinghouse on May 28, 1915 and again by Savage Arms on April 1, 1920. As a division of Savage, Stevens continued to produce firearms at their Chicopee Falls facility until 1960 when the plant was torn down and Stevens production was moved into other Savage facilities. Savage dropped the Stevens name in 1991 but revived it in 1999 and still uses it today for a number of its low cost rifles and shotguns.
Introduced in 1911 with the distinction of being the first 20 gauge repeating shotgun available on the market. Single bead sight, 3 inch chamber, and an improved modified choke. Standard three-line J. Stevens address and patent markings on the left side of the receiver and a tang mounted safety switch. Grooved slide handle and smooth stock with a serrated hard rubber buttplate.